Thursday, July 14, 2005

Life v. Money

So how is it that a guy convicted of fraud gets 25 years in prison when a convicted murderer could be out in as little as 10 years? Call me crazy but isn't there something a little wacky about that situation? I mean let us weigh out the offences.

In the one hand you have someone who essentially stole a bunch of money. (Mr. Ebbers)

In the other hand you have someone who has taken a human life.

Now you must ask yourself, which is more valuable? Hmm... That's a BRAIN BUSTER!! But apparently our society has deemed money to be more valuable than a life and thus money fraud a more serious offense these days.

Boy am I thrilled to live in a materialistic society.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Zach - You gotta think though how many lives Ebbers ruined when he stole the 11 billion. That money didn't come from "the company" per se, it came from pensions and benefits - accounts that people had worked their whole lives to build only to lose it to a greedy management. These people don't have the years left to build it up, and they are left being greeters at Wal-Mart rather than RVer's in Arizona.

I know what you are saying though - murders should recieve a stiffer penalty. Ebbers got what he deserved.

Stacy said...

Yeah I wonder that myself.

Really doesn't make sense at all.

Makes you feel safe doesn't it...

Stacy said...

Hey Zach be sure when you create a blog to select "yes" for coments from other people. Right now it's set so only people w/ blog's can comment

Mindy said...

I understand, Zach, but I'm with Bry, although I do think the murderer should get the same. Essentially the two criminals are doing the same thing: profitting of the suffering and pain of other people.