Wednesday, February 01, 2006

So... this is exciting.

According to an article in todays newspaper, it is legal to carry a sword in the state of Oregon. Here is the article, it's not very long.

February 1, 2006

Since You Asked:
It’s legal to carry sword(s)

Why is it legal for a person to own and carry a gun with special permits but not a sword? Swords are far less lethal. If someone attacks me I should have the ability to choose what kind of weapon I should be able to protect myself with, shouldn’t I? Are people just more afraid of swords than guns?
— Jesse C., Eagle Point

State lawmakers either agree swords are less lethal or they didn’t think to bother with a weapon so archaic.

Oregonians actually can carry as many swords as they want, according to Jackson County District Attorney Mark Huddleston, who has found no legal reference to the contrary. However, carrying a sword with the intent to use it against another person is a crime, he said.

And while we’re clearing up one misconception, you may as well know that Oregonians can carry guns without special permits as long as the firearm is openly displayed. Carrying a concealed gun without the proper permits is a crime, as is carrying a concealed knife, switchblade or ice pick, Huddleston said. Swords are not referenced among concealed weapons, either.

"... They gotta be hard to conceal," Huddleston said.

And, of course, one must consider swords’ superiority over guns because they never run out of ammunition, the district attorney joked.

How exciting is this!? I guess now I can bust out my sword collection again! Yessssssssss!

And who takes an ice pick with them when they leave the house?! Honestly!!

18 comments:

Zachary J. Miles said...

This is true. But I still think I would be funnier yet to see that same old lady with a four foot long sword on her back. I mean, let's be realistic.

Rational Icthus said...

I'd like to see an old lady try and *swing* a four-foot sword.

Zachary J. Miles said...

I would have to agree, that would be quite humorous!!

Rational Icthus said...

Actually, given that it's a sword, wouldn't it be hew-morous?

Rational Icthus said...

Sorry about the swordid puns, Chris! You really need to cut it out. Take a stab at *not* punning for a while. Really!

Zachary J. Miles said...

Chris, you are stupid! LOL!

Rational Icthus said...

Zach, no need to get edgy. They're just puns. Come on, try some! They'll sharpen your wit!

Bryan said...

I have a sharp enough wit. If I wanted to make stupid puns, I would have been born a Luka. I prefered to have a hillbilly heiritage instead.

Rational Icthus said...

Bryan,

We are all aware of your hillbelly heritage...

Rational Icthus said...

Um... uh... Never mind.

Rational Icthus said...

When? We're waiting...

Stacy said...

My only thought is this...

Can any of you picture Clara walking through the mall swinging a 4-Foot sword...

Zachary J. Miles said...

The day that happens will be the last day any of us (Bryan, Matt, Stacy or myself) calls her "Cotton Candy". Need I say more?

Stacy said...

Yeah I think that would shut us all up in a quick hurry...Although I'm not too sure she would be able to see who or what she's swinging at??

Rational Icthus said...

Hey, she can see Clara as a bell!

Rational Icthus said...

Oh, Chris!

Those puns Schleigh me!

Mindy said...

Agh! Agh! Must breathe!! Too many puns in the air!!! This article cracked me up, because I can unfortunately oh-so-easily see Joel walking through downtown Medford with his "piece" slung over his shoulder like a pillaging Viking of old. In fact, I informed him it was legal when I talked to him that night.

Stacy said...

Mindy WHY on earth did you give Joel such an idea!!