Thursday, April 20, 2006

I don't know? Is this normal?

So this morning I'm at work and the morning shift is usually quite busy which is nice for the two people working because tips are better. This lady comes in, and in one hand she has a free drink card, and in the other she has a one dollar bill... I'm thinking, "Sweet! Dollar tip on a free drink, works for me!". But no, she looks into the tip jar (which is quite full by this point) and takes change as she places her dollar in it.

This brings up my question... is this right? Is the common place? Who goes into an establishment and gets change back on their tip!?

10 comments:

LaDonna said...

My guess would be that she either felt that you weren't worth the full dollar or she needed the change for something. But I can't say that I've ever seen anybody do that before. Pretty weird.

Mandy Sue said...

That's not cool at all! If she didn't have change to give you what she felt was an 'adequate' tip, then she should have just given the whole dollar! It's her own fault! And reaching into the tip jar--How rude!

Rational Icthus said...

You're complaining? Fifteen percent of zero is zero. You got lucky. I probably would'a stiffed you.

Just kidding, I would'a left you a nickel... ;-)

MsPoppins20 said...

I think it is rude to reach your hand into a communal money jar and extract change without someone watching (or maybe even doing it for you). Otherwise, who is to say that you even took the correct amount?

Mandy Sue said...

It wasn't a communal money jar though, it was a tip jar, for the Baristas. Not a change machine for her to get quarters back from in return for a crisp Washington. It doesn't matter how you slice this one. The fact of the matter is, she was rude. Period.

Stacy said...

RUDE...

How dare she do that! What on earth possesed her to reach her hand into YOUR tip jar and exchange her money. Only because she didn't come to the shop prepared.

I would be a sign on the jar...

"Please keep your paws of my jar"

Rational Icthus said...

Why is it rude to take four quarters out of a tip jar and put a dollar back in. What changed? (Pun intended)

Bryan said...

Not exactly commonplace, but it is acceptable.

Bryan said...

And Stacy, that kind of sign would get you less tips. Kinda works against ya.

Rational Icthus said...

April 20th. May 3rd. Hmm...